For information on the Core PE, BTEC Sport and GCSE PE courses, click on the course for the relevant year group in the table below.
|Year 7||Core PE|
|Year 8||Core PE|
|Year 9||Core PE|
|Year 10||Core PE||BTEC Sport||GCSE PE|
|Year 11||Core PE||BTEC Sport||GCSE PE|
Physical Education provides opportunity for all pupils to develop their knowledge, character and the physical skills required to enable them to lead a healthy, active lifestyle, both now and in the future.
Ambition for our pupils
Across their time at the College, it is our ambition that pupils will have:
- experienced a range of activities to develop their physical skill and areas of personal interest;
- understood the tactical, technical and conceptual content across the range of activities;
- appreciated how physical activity impacts on their health and wellbeing;
- learned how to participate safely in their learning environment;
- developed confidence in their ability and resilience to challenge themselves;
- enhanced a broad range of social skills;
- had the knowledge and confidence to continue their studies in the physical education sector, should they wish.
Structure of our curriculum
All pupils study Core PE at key stage 3 and key stage 4. At key stage 4, there is the opportunity to take either GCSE PE or BTEC Sport as an option subject.
The Core PE curriculum is organised around three core themes that are revisited and reinforced across the programme of study:
- Skills (e.g., passing, shooting, dance choreography, gymnastics vocabulary);
- Knowledge (e.g., tactical, technical, lifestyle);
- Character (e.g., sportsmanship, resilience, confidence, self-esteem, compromise).